Policy No. 5:01:00:05
Subject: Employment of Minors
The Tennessee Board of Regents has adopted the following policy concerning age restrictions and conditions of employment.
No person under the age of sixteen (16) may be employed by any institution/school/Central Office of the Tennessee Board of Regents.
Minors who are sixteen (16) or seventeen (17) may be employed under the following conditions:
1. This employment must not interfere with the minor's health or well-being.
2. If the minor is enrolled in school, this employment may not be during those hours when the minor is required to attend class.
3. A minor must have a 30-minute unpaid break or meal period if scheduled to work 6 hours consecutively. However, this break or meal period may not occur during or before the first hour of scheduled work activity.
Minors must not be employed in connection with the following:
1. occupations in or about establishments storing explosives or articles containing explosive components or potentially hazardous chemicals;
2. motor vehicle driving occupations;
3. occupations involved in the operation of power-driven woodworking machines;
4. occupations involving exposure to radioactive substances and to ionizing radiations;
5. occupations involved in the operation of elevator and other power-driven hoisting apparatus;
6. occupations involved in the operation of power-driven metal forming, punching, and shearing machines;
7. occupations involved in the operation of hazardous power-driven bakery machines;
8. occupations involved in the operation of circular saws and band saws;
9. occupations involved in the operation of packing, processing, or rendering;
10. occupations involved in the operations of hazardous power-driven paper products machines;
11. occupations involved in wrecking, demolition, and shipbreaking operations;
12. occupations involved in roofing operations;
13. occupations in excavation operations.
The provisions of this policy shall not apply to any minor who:
is sixteen (16) or seventeen (17) years of age and not enrolled in school, or is lawfully excused from compulsory school attendance under Tennessee Code Annotated, Section 49-6-3005.
Copies of documents to support this exception must be in the minor's personnel record maintained by the Office of Human Resources.
This is the exemption covering the JTPA program:
A minor may be employed if he/she is an enrollee in a public employment program which is conducted or funded by the federal government, provided that the employer (JTPA director) has on file in his/her personnel records an unrevoked written statement from a representative of the federal agency administering that program certifying the enrollment of said minor in the program.
Before any minor shall be employed, the institution/school/Central Office shall obtain from the minor a verification of age by requiring the minor to provide the institution/school/Central Office with a copy of the minor's birth certificate, or other available evidence such as a baptismal certificate or passport. A valid verification of age shall be conclusive evidence of the age of the minor to whom it is issued. (See Appendix A.)
Under certain official institution/school/Central Office programs designed to attract students at an early age to the health sciences or other fields, individuals under the age of 16 may be employed in those educational programs on a term or summer basis with written approval by the President/Director or his/her designee. All prohibited activities specified in the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) and those requirements of the State of Tennessee Child Labor Law must be observed.
Source: TBR Meeting, September 17, 1993; December 9, 1994
TENNESSEE BOARD OF REGENTS VERIFICATION OF AGE
Name (Please print): _________________________________________________________ Last First Middle
Social Security Number:___________-____________-__________
Our school records show the date of birth of _________________________________ Student's Name
to be ___________________________________________. Month/Day/Year
__________________________________________ Signature and Title
__________________________________________ Name of School
__________________________________________ School Address
Please return completed form to: Director of Human Resources (Campus Address)