Austin Peay State University
Named for former Tennessee governor and Clarksville native Austin Peay, Austin Peay State University was established in 1927 with 158 students enrolled the first term. APSU began as Austin Peay Normal School when it was created by the General Assembly as a two-year junior college and teacher-training institution. In 1939, the state Board of Education authorized the school to inaugurate a curriculum leading to the Bachelor of Science degree, first conferred on the graduating class at the 1942 Spring Convocation. On February 4, 1943, the legislature changed the name of the school to Austin Peay State College. In 1951, the state board authorized the college to confer the Bachelor of Arts degree and, a year later, to offer graduate study leading to a Master of Arts in Education. The college became Austin Peay State University on September 1, 1967. During its history, nine presidents and three acting presidents have served the institution. Timothy L. Hall is the current president. Take a look at APSU's profile or APSU's website.