TBR Community College System
The 13 community colleges in the Tennessee Board of Regents system comprise all two-year public institutions in Tennessee. Each community college has a specific service area as shown in the maps linked here (maps are in Microsoft Powerpoint).
Visit the Tennessee's Community Colleges website:
The colleges are
- Chattanooga State Community College
- Cleveland State Community College
- Columbia State Community College
- Dyersburg State Community College
- Jackson State Community College
- Motlow State Community College
- Nashville State Community College
- Northeast State Community College
- Pellissippi State Community College
- Roane State Community College
- Southwest Tennessee Community College
- Volunteer State Community College
- Walters State Community College
In the 2010 legislative session the Tennessee General Assembly passed the Complete College Tennessee Act of 2010, mandating among other things that the Tennessee Board of Regents establish "a comprehensive statewide community college system of coordinated programs and services to be known as the Tennessee community college system." A summary of that legislation and a link to the bill itself may be found here.
At its June meeting, the Tennessee Board of Regents reviewed a paper entitled Tennessee Community College Paper, prepared by the National Center for Higher Education Management with extensive input from and participation by the TBR community colleges and central office staff. The board approved a resulting implementation plan. The documents were combined into one and can be viewed here.
Subsequent to that meeting, TBR moved to address the implementation plan. A market research study was conducted by the University of Tennessee Center for Business and Economic Research and completed in January 2011. The results of that study may be accessed here.