Sam H. Odom Scholarship
The Sam Houston Odom scholarship was established in 2015 to provide scholarship funds to students who are enrolled in a Tennessee Community College, pursuing an Associate of Applied Science in Nursing degree who do not receive financial aid via the Tennessee Promise Scholarship program created by the Tennessee Promise Scholarship Act of 2014. The scholarship will cover any unmet financial need after federal financial aid has been considered.
- Students admitted to a nursing program at a community college
- Current Tennessee resident and/or Permanent U.S. Citizen
- Completed FAFSA on file with the home institution and verified to be ineligible for TN Promise
- Enrollment in a minimum of 9 credit hours
- Evidence of involvement in leadership and community service activities (applicants will submit a portfolio of no more than 7 pages with at least one letter of support from a faculty or professional staff member at the home institution)
- One-page essay that addresses personal and career aspirations
- Preference will be given to enlisted members of the Tennessee air National Guard, healthcare workers employed by the Department of Veterans Affairs in one of its facilities, and to persons who are single parents
- Award availability is announced before February 1 of each calendar year.
- Each TBR two-year institution with a nursing program may nominate one member of their current students to be considered for the award.
- Two recipients will be selected by a distinguished panel appointed by the TBR Community College Office, which will review application materials.
- Deadline for consideration is March 1, and the award will be announced by May 1.
Requirements for Renewal
This scholarship is renewable for up to a maximum of two years (4 semesters from the time the student is first awarded the scholarship or until an associate’s degree is completed, whichever comes first). In order to renew the scholarship, the student must:
• Maintain a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.0
• Carry a minimum course load of 9 credit hours per semester
Administration of the Scholarship
The TBR System Office will send notification to the recipients and copy the Financial Aid Director at the home institution. Notification from the System Office will only occur during the first year of the award.
In subsequent years, the Financial Aid office at the home institution should notify the student of the continuance of this scholarship. The Financial Aid Office will verify the recipient meets the cumulative grade point average and course load requirement. The Financial Aid Director, or their designee, will notify the System Office of the continuance or discontinuance of the award for following years.
Payment will be made to the Institution by August 1 for the upcoming fall term. The institution will then cut a check to the student for the appropriate award amount. This will be done on a per semester basis contingent upon registration in a minimum of 9 credit hours with a cumulative grade point average of 3.0 or higher.